Thursday, July 11, 2013

We made it to Utah!

I'm pretty much a gold medalist.

With all the skill and prowess of a finely tuned athlete, I navigated hurdles and setbacks, kept my breathing steady and my eyes focused on the finish line. All I had to do was make it to the airport with 7 children. I didn't even care if they were happy when we got there - I just needed them all there.

I treaded lightly around Sasha as I raced around to get everything packed. His face was buried in a video game, pretending not to notice, which was fine with me. When I told him it was time to leave, he changed out of the clothes we bought him into "his" clothes. The changing of clothes seems to be a recurring message to let us know his heart is still in Ukraine. I'm OK with that. We'll love him while he's here - tight shirts, capri sweat pants and all.

We were entertained with a myriad of stupid comments from onlookers and employees at the airport as we gained access to boarding passes and security. Things were pretty seamless until Sasha was asked to take off his shoes. "NO!" "FU!" Somehow we got through that one.

Then the TSA agent took Ilona's bag to do a thorough search. He seized her shaving cream and face wash, which was not okay with Sasha. He started doing the charades for putting someone in a headlock and beating them senseless while hollering "no". I guided him calmly away as I gave the agent a telling look of, "please don't make trouble for us. I'm just a special needs camp counselor and I need you on my side."

By all accounts, the plane ride was a success. Ilona's laugh was a few decibels too high, pee pee talk was a bit overdone, and Sasha's decision to stand up on his seat puzzled all of us, but we made it through. We happen to be seated in the very last 2 rows and the flight attendant commented at the end of the flight, "I was a bit worried about the back of the plane when I saw you coming, but I am pleasantly surprised it went so well." That made two of us.






And grandma's house was the highlight. She outdid herself with delicious food and plenty of entertainment. Sasha instantly bonded with grandpa over a riding mower, of which he was given free reign. Besides the mower there was a soda bottle rocket launcher, frisbees and other yard games, a huge apricot tree with fruit ripe for picking, and a landscape of soft, Utah grass to welcome our tired feet.












The kids seemed to love babushka and dedushka. At the end of the evening as we sat under the shade of the tree enjoying homemade cookies and ice cream, the world seemed in balance. The children and I were conversing and the beautiful sound of the Russian language filled the air. Never mind that they were teaching me native curse words. We were communicating, having lessons about right and wrong, and feeling safe as we shared our worlds with each other.

We said our goodbyes to Nanny and Papa and drove to our rental house in Park City. A few fights ensued over bedrooms and Alina took it the hardest. She gave a good, long, honest pout and I just had to leave her with a hug and an assurance that tomorrow she would feel better. We aren't quite sure of the details, but Macie ended up with a fat and bloodied lip at Alina's hand. Or maybe her foot. Yes, I think it was her foot. All is forgiven and we forge on this morning to another day of adventure and mystery.



And guess what? Today we are really and truly going to a non-fu park, complete with roller coasters and water park and funnel cake aplenty. Krasivyy.


No comments:

Post a Comment