Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Canyons, Cousins and a Birthday Celebration

I'm ashamed to admit that one of my favorite pastimes is laughing at other people's mishaps, or "fails" as my kids call them. I enjoy watching a good slip and fall on wet cement or a packed tray of steaming food tumbling out of an impatient waitresses hand - things like that. Last year we visited a cave in Idaho and as we waited in line, we watched a steady stream of what must have been 30 people pile out of cars with matching t-shirts and a resemblance that was uncanny. Faces that were about 3 times longer than they were wide, noses that looked like carrots that had been harvested a little too soon, long legs that seemed to grow straight out of their necks, and chalky colored skin with blotches of  redness where they had inadvertently missed applying sunscreen the day before. My sister (who joins me in my sick humor) and I had a good laugh about the fact that nobody in that family needed a shirt to announce that they belonged, and also, who in the heck wears matching shirts these days?

Apparently we do.


Now before you laugh you need to hear me out, and also know that if you make fun, I'll have to hurt you because it was all my mom's idea. And I think it was the best idea in the whole world.

These t-shirts told our host kids she understood that we have ginormous families and even we can't keep them straight sometimes, so she color-coded them. They spoke of our bond. And they said "you belong with us."

You might notice that there is one orange guy out of place. I'm not naming names, but he may have been a little irritable at the time because Aaron may have given him a taste of his own medicine by passing a slight bit of gas directly on his leg. Before you judge, just remember that desperate times call for desperate measures.

When we arrived at Millcreek canyon (one of my favorite places on earth) and started walking down the trail to our picnic site, Sasha, in usual fashion, started telling me that it was fu. He looked around, motioned with his hands to the trees, and the stream, and the mountain, and kept repeating his favorite word. I ignored him as we walked and then I told him to help me look for babushka. "Babushka?" he said with this enthusiastic, high-pitched delight. And then a huge grin replaced the scowl on his face and our walk turned to almost a run as he anticipated finding her. I swear I am trying to figure these kids out, but right now there's just no figuring. I brought him to one of the most beautiful places on earth, and none of that mattered to him. Not until he learned that babushka was there. I have a guess as to why, but you can draw your own conclusion here. Maybe these kids aren't as mysterious as we think.

Being the wise and observant guy that he is, grandpa "dedushka", made sure he had a job for Sasha to do when he arrived. They hauled firewood together and then set out to chop it. It became immediately obvious that this wasn't the first time Sasha had used an axe and wedge. The first few logs were split easily and quickly and a shirtless Sasha strutted around, very proud of himself. But dedushka, again being the wise guy that he is, brought along a log that he knew would be almost impossible to split. It was the piece of log where several branches had come together and the hardness seemed to mock Sasha at every excruciating stroke of the axe. We all had satisfying smiles as we watched him labor against the beast.




We were the first family to arrive, and luckily each subsequent family filtered in one at a time so the kids didn't have to meet everyone all at once. There was some expected awkwardness at first, but within no time, friendships and alliances were formed - teasing, chasing, bothering, tattling, ball throwing, teaching, learning and giggling filled the evening air as you would expect at any family reunion.

Sasha seemed to notice that we have dangerously cute girls in our family. The girls quickly noticed that we also have the worlds cutest baby in our family. Baby Aubree played her role perfectly last night. At 10 months old, naturally she chooses mom over anyone else. When she arrived, Ilona ran to her to say hello. I had told her earlier that there would be a baby there and she said, "Ilona love babies." When Aubree first saw her, her delicious baby smile turned into worry, and I was disappointed at the reality that as much as Ilona wanted to hold her, Aubree wasn't going to comply. Oh me of little faith. Aubree let down her guard and for almost the entire evening, she cooed and smiled as Ilona and Alina took turns holding and playing with her. Jonni (my sis in law, Aubree's mom) said that never happens. It was a first for her and it was our little manna in the desert miracle.

Meeting for the first time

Aubree getting worried

Still a little worried

Ahhh, here we go. 

Fast friends
There were some other firsts for our Ukrainian kids last night. Cooking hot dogs over an open fire. Playing in an icy cold stream. Being with a huge extended family. And Alina, oh that Alina. She started speaking English! Nevermind that she was parroting everything I say as she waggled her head and mocked me...she was SPEAKING ENGLISH! So of course I gave her some phrases to say to my brothers and sisters. "I am a stinker." "I can be a handful." Is that wrong of me? Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery, right? She's off to a great start.











And I saved the best for last. Yesterday our darling, smart, charming, hilariously funny Macie turned 9. She is the kind of girl that puts a chicken leash on her birthday list, and dictates that we all are present as she enjoys her traditional breakfast in bed. She keeps us in line each day by insisting proper apologies are made and that everything is equal and fair, but she would willingly give up everything she has if it meant making us happy. She completes our family in the most wonderful way and we are so blessed that we have been able to share the last 9 years with her. Happy Birthday my sweet Macie. I love you up to the sky!!













No comments:

Post a Comment