Friday, July 5, 2013

(Day 6) Happy 4th of July!

Is July 4 not the greatest holiday of the year? We always have a big breakfast complete with waffles, berries, bacon, & buttermilk syrup and then we play good old fashioned yard games like horseshoes, balloon toss, etc. I'm guessing google translate didn't do justice of explaining the awesome morning we had planned because none of the kids were eager to get out of bed. Go figure.

Right before the guests arrived, and after several failed attempts at waking Sasha, I quietly crept into his room and sat down on the bed next to him. I put my hand on his arm and said his name a few times, to which he curtly responded, "Mmmmmgggghhhhh" and pulled the covers over his head. I tried again and got the death look but I just gave him a smiley death look right back and told him he needed to get up. My kids successfully woke the girls up and eventually they all ended up at the party.

Sasha's obsession with the motorcycle didn't dissipate overnight and he spent the morning grumpy because Aaron wouldn't let him drive it. He refused his breakfast, instead coming in and out of the pantry grabbing handfuls of M&Ms. Lying on the couch with his aviator glasses on, arms crossed, and M&Ms chomping, I sat down next to him and asked if he was hungry. "No". Then I typed out "are you angry?" He said, "Yes. Papa. No (then didn't say the word but made a motorcycle sound and made the hand motion of revving the engine). I just smiled and shrugged.

The girls had a great time and the kids all swam and played games for hours outside. The Lynn's (our friends) are hosting a brother and sister from Ukraine as well and they all loved being together. We also had some older boys there who just graduated from high school and they were awesome in their attempts to communicate and hang out with Sasha. Sasha didn't make it effortless, but it was nice to have them there taking an interest in him. Sasha's main concern the whole morning was showing off on the motorcycle but papa the bad guy wasn't letting him.

At around noon our yard guys showed up to cut the grass. Sasha watched them in horror as they made their first few swipes of the mower and grass blew on to the driveway. He sprinted from where he was standing to grab our blower out of the garage, started it up and proceeded to blow the grass clippings from the driveway back onto the grass. Felipe, the yard guy, looked at him with confusion and Sasha looked back at him with disregard, as though he was saving the Collins family from Felipe's inconsideration. I tried to explain to the non-English speaking Ukrainian that it was OK and the grass clippings were all part of the master plan if he would just let it play out. Then I tried to explain to the non-English speaking Mexican that he shouldn't take offense to Sasha's gesture and that it came from a good place. Aye. They just don't have training manuals on this stuff.

After the last guest left, I had my first postpartum moment. I'm coming off a good several months of extremes, and the fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks. Since Aaron was home I knew I was safe to disappear for awhile so I explained to the kids that I was sleepy and I was going to take a nap. They seemed very concerned, gave me hugs, and let me go. 2 hours later I was good to go.

I got up and made dinner and finally saw some excitement in the kids eyes about my meal! I made a salad with cucumbers, radishes, green onion, dill, tomatoes, feta cheese, oil and red wine vinegar and they devoured it! This salad undoubtedly reminded them of home and I'm sure that felt good.

And in keeping with my English tutoring tradition, I played a game where we went around the table and said a number in succession up to 10. Then we started over and did it again and again. We did the same thing with the color of our shirts. And if that wasn't painful enough, I pulled out "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" and read it with all the enthusiasm in my soul to a crowd of 6-16 year olds. And as I read I wondered. I do that a lot.

I so desperately wish I knew what was going on inside each one of them. The language barrier is tough. But I wonder if they'd be able to express their feelings at this point even if we did speak the same language? How does it feel to be in our home? Do they feel safe? Are they confused? Do they know how much we believe in them? Do they feel a part?

What we have here are 3 incredible kids. They have made us laugh more this week than we usually do in a month. They insist on driving with the car windows down in lieu of A/C, they forget they are supposed to flush the toilet paper instead of putting it in the garbage can, they talk very fast and loud sometimes to each other, they fight to sit shotgun and control the radio, they laugh during our prayers, they don't like it when I mention church or play churchy music or videos, they load mayonnaise and mustard on spaghetti noodles, they don't have a problem saying no when they don't feel like something or yes when they do, they make their beds every morning, they clean up their own dishes, they help prepare meals, they are tough when they get hurt, they are extremely athletic and adventurous...like us in so many ways.

Sasha is a young man. In his country a 16 year old is an adult but his life hasn't been exactly great preparation for life on his own. He quit smoking because he chose to come to America and he chose to follow our rules. He asked Aaron to cut his hair like his. His protective instincts are through the roof. If someone is sad or hurt, somehow Sasha knows to be there. We are utterly amazed each time we witness this. He may call his sisters names and stick his tongue out at them, but he would step in front of a train for them, and now I believe he would do the same for any of us. He is unsure of himself and I know that because he tries too hard to portray confidence. He is a stiff negotiator and he needs a why. He is an acute observer. He is gracious and thankful. He is unselfish and hard working. And he is smart - but I don't think he believes that. He has a  whole history we have yet to discover that has shaped the way he thinks and feels.

Ilona is a wonderful girl. She LOVES animals and is our official chicken egg collector. Every time she walks into the house she calls out for Ellie. I wish I could convey in writing how she pronounces her name! Ellie Mae loves Ilona right back. She is a great cook and a willing participant in any meal I prepare. Someone has taught her well. She is tidy without being reminded and she shows gratitude for everything we give. She gets moody at times and it's hard for me to work through that with her because the language doesn't come through. Most often I give her a hug and tell her I'm sorry she is upset and she will come out of it on her own. Out of the 3 kids she understands English the best, although she is the most shy about trying to say the words to us. I've heard that is a common characteristic, as the kids don't want to let us down by not being good enough. Her favorite phrase is "Oh my gosh," which she repeats time and time again. She is affectionate and often leaves love notes around for me. Today she sat for an hour looking through pictures of our kids growing up and I asked her if she had any baby pictures. When she said no it ripped at my heart. Even though she has so much loss, she is still happy for others who haven't lost.

Alina is a beautiful little ray of sunshine. Her giggly smile is contagious and she is almost always happy. She can get pouty and loud, but will calm herself down just like Ilona does. She just needs a little time. She is extremely outgoing and isn't afraid to make new friends here in America. She has a way of making the language barrier a non-issue to being together. She has great manners and she is helpful anytime she is asked to do something, and many times even when she isn't asked. She has a way of looking up at us and smiling that just melts us to pieces. I am curious to know what is wrong with her kidneys but all these questions will be answered in time. She says, "It's OK" all the time when I try to help her with something like she is trying not to be a bother.

After fireworks the 3 of them started giggling in the car about something and it quickly turned into the kind of belly laughter they couldn't contain. They would try to say something and would crack up so hard they couldn't finish the word and then they would all die laughing. We had no clue what they were laughing about but we couldn't help catching it. After we got home they were quiet for a bit and then from in the kitchen I heard the roaring laughter start up again. I went in there and Aaron and I teared up with laughter just watching them and trying to guess what they were saying that could possibly be that funny. Maybe the laugh was at our expense but who cares. The whole thing was cleansing for all 9 of us and it was a perfect way to end the night.









new friends


Twins!


Dima & Sasha







No comments:

Post a Comment