Friday, July 5, 2013

(Day 4) Swimming at the lake and first English class

This morning we met up with our friends who are also hosting a boy from Ukraine and we hiked down to the dock on Lake Austin to explore the rope swing and swimming. The kids were a little shocked by the cold water (I keep getting baffled by their distaste for cold when they live in one of the coldest places on the planet) but they had a blast.

At 2:00 we set out for our first English class. Before we left Sasha asked if he could use my phone to type me a message. He wanted to ride Jaxon's bike to class. I explained that it was 30 minutes away by car. He said he didn't care. I told him he could ride the bike there AFTER he learned english so he could read the road signs. So we loaded up in the car - windows down, radio up, and off we went.

When we got to class the kids were excited to see some of their friends from their orphanage as well as kids from other orphanages who could speak their language. Our friend is hosting a 10 year old boy who hasn't been too forthcoming with his language abilities since he has been here. When he saw Sasha, it was like the words could not stop pouring out of him. He talked incessantly, so much so that those two were instantly labeled the troublemakers in the class.

I stood outside with my friend D to talk and kind of watch the kids through the window. After a few minutes, out came Sasha with her boy, laughing all the way to the bathroom. We heard talking and giggling from inside the bathroom and both of our radars started buzzing. Luckily her son was standing there with us and she sent him in to "wash his hands". When he came out he said they were both in the stall with their pants on the ground. "TOGETHER????" we said. "No!" Each in their own stall. My friend said, "I find that hard to believe that they both had to poop at the exact same time." Her son just shrugged. So did I.

Inside the classroom we listened as the teacher sang, "I Can Sing a Rainbow" and the alphabet song. The kids made collages about Austin, TX and brought notebooks home so they could practice during the week. Leaving class was a challenge because they kids were so hyped up to be together again. Sasha didn't understand why his friend couldn't come home with us and why his friends had to listen to their "mamas". He actually does a fairly decent job of listening to me, but apparently he doesn't like other kids listening to their moms. We promised the kids we would be together soon.

That night Aaron took Sasha on a very long ride, almost to Waco, to pick up Jaxon's dirt bike. After they had been riding for quite awhile, Sasha asked to use Aaron's phone and typed, "How much longer?" Aaron told him 30 minutes. Sasha climbed in the back seat and slept from that time until they were almost home, several hours later. These past few days have made the little guy tired.

I took Ilona and Faith to a youth activity for our church tonight. It was a swimming party. I was a little sad to watch as the girls said hello but didn't know how to interact with her, so they just kind of avoided her. I know they didn't mean any harm and I understand that at that age, or any age for that matter, it would be hard to know how to communicate. Scenes like that make me really gloomy. I think of all the good we can do for these kids, but all the familiarity they would leave behind if they came here for good. Would they ever be embraced and accepted by kids who were decent and kind or would their peer group be comprised of kids who would drag them down? What is the better life for them and what does God have in store for them? I wish I could answer all these questions with clarity but right now I just can't. And maybe I never can. I am just putting one foot in front of the other, loving them, laughing with them, teaching them, and praying with all my heart for them.












Sasha desperately wants to learn to drive but he settles for sitting in Aaron's truck listening to music

Alina and Macie



No comments:

Post a Comment